SOCHI, Russia – Even before the Olympic tournament began, before the under-looked and under-appreciated Fins would stun the enti

#1 von jokergreen0220 , 26.02.2018 06:13

SOCHI, Russia – Even before the Olympic tournament began, before the under-looked and under-appreciated Fins would stun the entire nation of Russia, Olli Jokinen prescribed the formula that would get it done. Calle Jarnkrok Jersey . “I think we have the best goaltending out of all the other countries,” Jokinen said. “We play a good team game. Plus, we feel that at the end of the day it doesnt matter who puts the Finnish jersey on the team is going to play the same game anyways. For us its not so much about the names on the back, its about the good, solid team game and good goaltending.” That was what it took to bring down Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin and the home country at Bolshoy Ice Dome on Wednesday night: spectacular goaltending from Tuukka Rask, a few timely goals and continued adherence to a team game, despite injury losses that seemed too burdensome to overcome. Ever the underdog, Finland has altered the face of these Games in Russia and reminded the hockey world, yet again, why only one country has medaled in three of the four Olympics involving NHL players. “You know that nobody ever believed that we could win, but it doesnt matter,” said captain Teemu Selanne, who had a goal and an assist in the 3-1 upset over Russia. “The experts are wrong many times. We have to believe in our team.” There was no Ovechkin on this team, no Malkin, not even the injured and more recognizable likes of Mikko and Saku Koivu, Valtteri Filppula, or even Aleksander Barkov, the second overall pick in last summers NHL draft. For star power, it came down to Rask, who was terrific with 37 saves, and Selanne, playing in his final Olympics at age 43. “Weve got good team spirit and our style to play,” said Leo Komarov, who played in the NHL with the Maple Leafs last season. The Finns, who won bronze in 1998 and 2010 and silver in 2006, were a determined and youthful bunch on this night, led, however, by the aging Selanne, the unsolvable Rask and 21-year-old Mikael Granlund, who set up Selannes go-ahead goal and eventual game-winner before scoring the third and final marker himself. “I think this is a great business card for Granlund to show how good he can be,” Selanne said of Granlund, who has 28 points in his second season with the Minnesota Wild. In upsetting the Russians and holding Ovechkin and Malkin off the score-board entirely – the pair combined for two goals all tournament – Finland gets an opportunity to play in Fridays semi-final against Sweden with another medal chance close at hand. Mindful of a rest advantage – Russia was playing for the fourth time in five days – Selanne believes a turning point for his country came in their final preliminary round match against Canada during which they lost 2-1 in overtime, hanging around despite an overwhelming talent disparity. “My young teammates, when they realized that they can compete against the best players in the world it felt great,” said Selanne, who played in his first Olympics in 1992. “I dont know how many people saw that, [but] I saw it very [closely]. I was very proud of those guys. I think thats the carryover from that game. Its a good feeling when you realize that you can compete against the best.” Yet again it was a sum of parts defeating what was ultimately an incredibly talented and yet flawed Russian squad, one that buckled under the strain of a countrys worth of pressure. They fell in the quarterfinals for the second straight Olympics. “It sucks,” said Ovechkin, who had just a single goal all tournament, held to three shots by Finland and singled out by his head coach afterward. Rask was there all night to turn aside whatever Ovechkin and the Russians could muster. The 26-year-old got stronger as the game wore on, stopping all 27 shots in the final 40 minutes, including one on Alexander Radulov in the waning moments of victory. “Tuukka?” said Komarov with a grin. “Hes okay.” And ultimately it was Rask, who summed up the under-looked and under-appreciated Finns. “Even though nobody ever picks us to win medals,” he said, “we always seem to find a way to get there and win one.” Marek Mazanec Jersey .Y. - Terry and Kim Pegula have no immediate plans to tinker with their new NFL team. Mattias Ekholm Jersey . -- Derek Jeter says the New York Yankees have no choice but to move forward now that Alex Rodriguez has accepted his suspension for the 2014 season. .m. on Friday. Granger was acquired from the Indiana Pacers last Thursday for Evan Turner and Lavoy Allen, but never played a minute for Philadelphia. The 76ers also received a 2015 second-round draft pick in the deal.Reggie Abercrombie saw a hanging slider, got the barrel of the bat on the baseball and then raised his finger to the sky. The Winnipeg Goldeyes (10-5) veteran slugger had delivered a monster two-run home run in the bottom of the ninth that gave the Fish a come-from-behind 5-4 win over the visiting Lincoln Saltdogs (6-9). "He kind of got a slider up and I got the barrel on it," said Abercrombie after the game. "Hes a good pitcher, but he made a mistake. You dont plan on this kind of thing happening, but when it happens, its sort of the reason you play baseball. Whenever you can do something like that for your team, its one of the things you try to enjoy." Not only did Abercrombie enjoy it, so too did his teammates, who met him at homeplate after he followed Donnie Webb across the plate. Webb had singled with one out in the bottom, of the ninth to set up Abercrombies heroics.It was a fitting ending to a brilliant pitching performance by veteran Goldeyes left-hander Chris Salamida, a performance that was almost lost. He threw eight innings of three-hit shutout baseball at Shaw Park, but the Goldeyes bullpen couldnt save his victory. Chris Kissock and Brendan Lafferty allowed four runs on five hits and two walks in the top of the ninth, as the Goldeyes blew a 3-0 eighth-inning lead and fell behind 4-3 heading to the bottom of the ninth. Its the first time this season the Goldeyes bullpen blew a save. "After Chris (Kissock) came out of the game, I batted him on the back," said Salamida. "Hell be back tomorrow and hell be great. Its just one of those things. Hell be back, better than ever next time." But thats when Reggie came on and hit his second homer in as many nights. Amazingly, the Goldeyes are now 8-2 this season in games in which theyyve hit home runs. Mike Ribeiro Jersey. With the win, the Goldeyes took over sole possession of first place in the American Associations North Division for the first time this season. "I felt really good tonight," said Salamida. "After that bad start to the season, I made a few adjustments to my mechanics and slowed down my delivery. When you pitch too quickly, it affects other parts of the delivery and thats what contributed to the slow start. Tonight, I just tried to throw strikes and get ahead of hitters. I had only three strikeouts, but I dont really try to get a lot of strikeouts. I try to pitch-to-contact and let my defense do its job and the defense was perfect tonight. I have a great defense behind me." Salamida, who got off to a terrible start this season in his first two outings, pitched eight complete innings, allowing no runs on three hits and only one walk. He retired the first 11 batters he faced and had a one-hitter through six innings. The Goldeyes didnt score much early in the game, but with Salamida dealing, they didnt have to score much.Tyler Kuhn led off the game with a single and scored all the way from first on a double by Jake Blackwood. In the fourth inning, Ray Sadler singled, went to second on a wild pitch and scored on a single by Donnie Webb. And with one out in the eighth inning, Kuhn pounded out his second triple in as many nights and scored on a sacrifice fly by Blackwood. Bellamy (1-0, 6.35 ERA) got the win for Winnipeg, while Marshall Schuler suffered the loss (0-2, 2.35 ERA).The Goldeyes and Saltdogs will play Game 3 of this four-game series on Saturday evening at 6 p.m. at Shaw Park. Jason Jarvis (1-2, 10-39 ERA) will get the start for Winnipeg, while Joe Bisenius (0-0, 4.24 ERA) will take to the bump for Lincoln. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

a ahead 23-13 w
ATLANTA -- Ervin Santana knew in the very first inning his slider would be tough to hit. [url=]T

Xobor Forum Software © | Forum erstellen